Bison Bratwurst with Caramelized Onions
by Debra Pishner, of Spokane, WA
- 4 Bison bratwurst, thawed
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle beer
- 1 (14.5-oz) can beef broth
- Barbecue sauce
- 1 c. barbecue sauce
- Caramelized onions
- 2 red onions 2 T. maple syrup
- 2 T. olive oil
- Place bratwurst in an unheated skillet.
- Add beef broth, beer, and enough water to cover.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, cooking until the internal temperature reaches 162°
- Pour barbecue sauce into a small saucepan and heat over low heat.
- To caramelize the onions; slice the onions vertically and place in a medium nonstick saucepan with the olive oil.
- Cook onions on medium heat, stirring frequently, for five minutes.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the maple syrup. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- 4 Hotdog rolls:
- Cut the hotdog rolls in half; spray each half with the butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
Serve the bratwurst on the warm rolls, topped with the barbecue sauce and caramelized onions.
Note: add some sliced green peppers to the skillet for extra flavor and color