London Broil Stew with Asparagus, Artichoke and Mushrooms
Yield 8-10 Servings
- 3 lbs. Bison London broil, 1" cubed
- 3 T. dried basil
- 6 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 T. dried oregano
- 7 T. virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 T. dried thyme
- 2 lg. Vidalia onions, 1" slices/wedges
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 c. celery, coarsely chopped
- 20 oz. button mushrooms, quartered
- 3 c. red Burgundy wine
- 2 (14-oz.) cans artichoke hearts, drain
- 2 (14-oz.) cans beef broth and quarter
- 2 (11.5-oz) cans V-8 vegetable juice
- 2 lbs. fresh asparagus, 1 inch pieces
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- Place bison cubes in a large plastic bag with flour.
- Seal bag and shake well to thoroughly coat meat.
- In an 8 1/2 quart sauce pan, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown meat cubes on all sides, turning frequently.
- Remove browned meat from pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan. Add garlic, onion, and celery to pan and saute over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Return meat to pan. Add 1 1/2 cups wine, beef stock and V-8 juice, scraping the crusting bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, pinch of salt & pepper. Blend well, bring to boil over high heat and simmer gently (uncovered) for 1 hour; stirring about each 15 minutes to scrape up bottom of pan.
- Stir in remaining wine, mushrooms, artichoke hearts and asparagus. Simmer for about an hour.
- Remove bay leaves and taste for seasoning.
Note: This stew freezes well, as long as veggies are covered by "sauce".
Recipe by Cooking Buffalo at http://cooking-buffalo.com/bison-london-broil-stew/