Elk Pot Roast with Bacon
prep cook total N
yield 6-8 servings
This is an easy recipe that is excellent using Bison meat or Elk and Venison. Our Elk and Bison products have no gamey taste, therefore marinating is not required.
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 onions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 lb elk chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice (or Montreal steak spice)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 lb stewed tomatoes
- Fry Bacon until crisp, remove from pan and crumble.
- Saute onions in bacon grease remaining in the pan until golden.
- Sprinkle flour salt and pepper over roast and brown on all sides in the pan.
- Combine remains ingredients, except for bacon, and pour over roast.
- Cover and cook slowly on top of the stove for about 3 hours or until tender. Add water if liquid in the bottom of the pan gets too low.
- When meat is tender, remove from the pan and strain juices. Add crumbled bacon, flour and cold water to juices to make the gravy.