Five Spiced Braised Wild Game Roast Recipe can be Used for Both Bison or Elk Roast
This recipe can be used for elk chuck roast as well. Both recipes make a delicious tender meal.
Five Spiced Braised Bison
Yield 8 Servings
- 1 Bison Chuck Roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp. Five-Spice Powder
- 4 slices Ginger Root
- 1 cup Sherry
- 1 cup Scallions, sliced (white and green)
- 1 cup Chicken Bouillon Stock (1 parts) Bouillon Cube)
- 2 T. Bean Sauce
- 4 T. Peanut Oil
- Mix bean sauce, soy sauce, five-spice powder, sherry and stock.
- In a large Dutch oven or wok, heat 4 tablespoons peanut oil until very hot and brown roast well on all sides.
- Remove meat and pour off oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pot.
- Turn heat to medium-low. Stir-fry garlic, ginger and scallions for 1 minute.
- Place roast on top of garlic, ginger and scallions.
- Pour the combined sauces. powder, sherry and stock over the roast and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for about 3 hours or until tender.
- While roast is simmering baste every 30 minutes.
- Make sure there is always enough liquid and that the roast isn't sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When roast is tender, remove liquid and de-fat. Pour liquid back into pot and boil down juice over medium-high heat until it forms a thick syrupy glaze.
- Place roast on serving platter and pour the glaze over the meat.
by Anita Shaver