Italian Meatloaf, Delicious Made with Bison Meat
Most times a recipe using ground meat cautions you to drain it as part of the preparation instructions. This is because of the fat content of the meat. In addition to being unhealthy, what you are draining is uneconomical. You’re pouring money down the drain, literally. With Ground Bison Meat from SayersBrook Bison Ranch, you won’t have this problem. In fact, we recommend that you spray your fry pan or skillet with a non-stick spray. It’s the good old American custom of getting what you pay for. Conveniently packaged in 1 lb units, Ground Bison Meat can be used in any recipe calling for beef.
Italian Meat Loaf with Fresh Basil and Cheese
Yield 6 Servings
- 1 c. boiling water
- 3/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 c. sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
- 1/2 c. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 2 lg. egg whites
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1 lb. ground Bison
- 1 c. seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 c. ketchup
- Combine boiling water and tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft.
- Drain tomatoes, and finely chop. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for 1/3 cup ketchup.
- Shape mixture into a 9 X 5 inch loaf on broiler pan. Spread remaining ketchup over top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until thermometer inserted in the centre registers 160°.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Cut into 12 slices.