Roasted Quail with Brandy, Butternut Squash and Hazel Nuts
Yield 4 Servings
Pre-heat oven to 350°F 180°C
- 4 Quails
- 4 tbs (50 gr) 2 oz butter melted
- 50 ml. 1/cup brandy
- 800 gr potatoes cooked and mashed
- 2 tablespoons flavoured oil such as hazelnut cashew, or avocado or olive oil if you don’t have flavoured oil
- 80 gr. (1/2 cup) hazel nuts
- thyme sprigs
- salt and fresh ground peeper
- mixed greens to serve
- Season the quails with salt and pepper then brush with melted butter.
- Heat a large casserole (dutch oven) over medium heat.
- Add the quails and sear for 5-10 minutes or until coloured on all sides.
- Pour in the brandy and set alight. Simmer for 5 minutes and reduce the cooking juices, basting the quails frequently
- Transfer the quails to a large oven proof dish.
- Spoon over the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in the oven for 45 minutes basting frequently.
- Mash potatoes
- place the quails on the mashed potatoes on a serving plate sprinkle with lightly crushed hazel nuts.
- Decorate with thyme sprigs
- Excellent with a side of cranberries, prunes, stew cherries or grapes
- Serve with salad of mixed greens
Recipe by Cooking Buffalo at http://cooking-buffalo.com/roasted-quail-with-brandy/