One of the most basic meals on the ranch is our traditional bison stew. Buy this ready made or make it yourself.
Loaded with fresh vegetables, filled with tender chunks of choice bison meat, awash in a hearty bison stock, this is a wholesome food with a capital “W.” Connie likes to serve her stew with fresh baked cornbread, but biscuits, dumplings, or a loaf of crusty bread will serve equally well to make this a delicious, convenient, satisfying home-on-the-range meal.
Sherried Bison Stew
Yield 6 Servings
- 2 lbs. cubed Bison stew meat
- 2 T. garlic, crushed
- 1 c. celery, sliced
- 3 T. tapioca
- 1 c. carrots, sliced
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 med. Yukon gold potatoes, 1" cubes
- 1 T. salt
- 2 1/2 1 lb. stewed tomatoes
- 3 T. sherry
- 3/4 c. water or vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Combine all ingredients in large pan, cover and bake for 5 hours.
- Add 2 T. sherry (optional) into stew just before serving.