Dolmathes in Sauce
Yield 4-5 Servings
- 1 head cabbage, or cooked or canned grape leaves
- 1/2 c. rice leaves
- 2 T. mint leaves, crushed
- 1 lb. ground Bison
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 c. hot water 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- juice of 1 lemon
- Saute onion & celery in olive oil
- Combine the first set of ingredients (except the cabbage or grape leaves).
- Rinse grape leaves several times in cool water to remove the brine.
- Lay out grape leaves with leaf veins up, stem toward you.
- Put one teaspoon meat mixture in center, close to the stem toward you.
- Turn in the sides of the leaf; roll from stem toward top of leaf to form an oblong roll.
- Or, boil cabbage until done, then roll a tablespoon of the filling in each leaf.
- Arrange rolls in sauce pan with leaf closing down to keep them from opening while cooking.
- Mix water, 1/4 cup of ketchup, 3 eggs slightly beaten and add juice of 1 lemon.
- Pour over all meat rolls.
- Turn heat high until it starts to boil, then reduce heat to medium for 25 minutes or until rice is cooked (if desired place a small plate over rolls to guarantee their remaining intact.)
- Shake pan occasionally so eggs don't coagulate.
As a main dish, this serves 4-5, and is good served with a tossed salad and french bread.
Courses Lunch or Supper
Recipe by Cooking Buffalo at https://cooking-buffalo.com/bison-dolmathes/