Classic Rabbit Stew with Potatoes and Herbs
Yield 4 Servings
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- 1 Rabbit cut into pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 8 oz (225 gr) bacon chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 12 new potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop rabbit into 12 pieces.
- Chop the onion and garlic finely.
- Slice and dice the bacon.
- Sear the rabbit pieces in olive oil, until lightly browned, remove from casserole.
- In the same pan, fry garlic, onion.
- Add the bacon and allow to color slightly.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Return rabbit to pan and deglaze with the red wine.*
- Add 3 cups water, cover and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Cook until all water has evaporated and the sauce is caramelized.
- Peel and cut potatoes and carrots and add to casserole
- Add the sprigs of rosemary, thyme and oregano (tie them together with kitchen string to make them easier to remove)
- Cook covered until tender.
*To deglaze: Add the wine to the pan and loosen and dissolve the brown food particles that are stuck to the bottom. These particle have lots of rich flavour and add to the taste of the sauce
Recipe by Cooking Buffalo at https://cooking-buffalo.com/classic-rabbit-stew/