How Do You Tell When Your Bison or Elk Steak is Done?
Checking for Bison Steak Doneness without poking your steak every two minutes.
There are 2 ways of checking for steak doneness.
- with a thermometer
- using your thumb and forefinger
The thumb and forefinger method.
- The more firm a piece of meat feels when you tap it, the more well done it is.
- The more it gives – the less well done it is.
Here is an easy method for checking your bison steak for doneness
Put your finger on the surface of the steak when it’s on the grill or in the pan and feel it’s firmness.
The steak will get firmer (less bounce-back) the more cooked it gets.
A raw steak feels like this:
- Using your forefinger press the base of your thumb on the other hand . It’s quite soft. This is what most steaks feel like when they are raw.
Take your forefinger and press it together with your thumb:
- It’s now firmer. Thats what a rare steak feels like
Using your second finger and thumb – feel the base of the thumb:
- It will feel firmer. This is what a medium rare steak feels like
Use your thumb and ring finger pressed together:
- This is what a medium-well steak feels like
Pinky and thumb pressed together:
- The base of the thumb should feel very firm – this is what a well done steak feels like.
The best doneness for a bison or elk steak is between rare and medium rare. See the video below for the DONENESS TEST
These are the steps you need to follow for a perfect bison steak
- Take it out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking to let it warm to room temperature, more if its a thicker steak
- Season with kosher salt, pepper and brush it with olive oil
- Use a very hot hot pan or grill
- after cooking take it off the heat source and let it rest about 5-10 minutes covered in tin foil to retain heat.
Serving up the best bison steaks with Sayerbrook Bison High Quality meats. Sign up for our newsletter and never miss our specials. Every week we have a discounts and coupons: Sign up for our newsletter and get $10 off your first order!
Sayersbrook has the highest quality bison and wild game meat at the best prices. From Bison New York Stirploin, Rib-eye, porterhouse, top sirloin. If you’re not sure which meat to order, just drop us a line, we’ll be happy to help you choose the perfect bison or elk steak.